Christ United invites you to join us on Thursday, May 6 at Whisper Lake Country Club for the 18th Annual Golf Tournament benefiting the Ministerial Scholarship Fund. Each year this tournament has grown and more seminary students are awarded scholarships as they pursue a degree in Christian ministry. Our goal is that the students will graduate with no debt from education loans. Due to COVID, the tournament was canceled last year, but we trusted God to provide for the needs of our scholars. To date, your continued support of this tournament has raised a total of $430,496.
The honoree for this year’s tournament is Jim Coggin.
Jim and his wife Pat joined Christ United in the original Sanctuary. Through the years, he has been involved in many leadership roles, including being head of Staff Parish Relations, the Administrative Board and chairman of several Capital Campaign Committees. Jim is especially grateful for the role Christ United played in the spiritual growth of his children and grandchildren. After serving as a lieutenant in the Army in Vietnam, Jim returned to this state and joined Mississippi Chemical in Yazoo City. His career path led him to IBM, then to McRae’s Department Stores and eventually Saks Incorporated, from which he retired in 2007 as President and CAO. Jim currently serves on the Millsaps Board of Trustees and Hospice Ministries board and enjoys playing golf regularly. He praises the Ministerial Scholarship Fund and Endowment Committee for the impact they have made by funding over 70 ministerial students to date.
This year’s tournament will take place at Whisper Lake Golf Club. Located in the heart of Madison County, Whisper Lake showcases a beautiful 18-hole, par-64 course which offers diverse terrain, four sets of tees, and a scenic lakeside finish for a challenging round in just three hours. The private, full-service club also offers a driving range, practice greens, and a clubhouse with pro shop. Click HERE for more information about Whisper Lake.
This year there are several ways that you can be involved.
1) Scholarship Donations: Even if you can't participate - you can still give!
- Click HERE to make an additional donation to the Scholarship Fund - select GOLF 2021 in the giving options.
2) Golfer: Plan to play with us at Whisper Lake on Thursday, May 6, 2021. The fee is $150 per person which includes a t-shirt, 18-holes of golf, cart and lunch. You can request your own pairing or register individually for this event. If registering as a group of four, complete a registration form for each participant.
- Click HERE to sign up online to play.
3) This year there are TWO Sponsorship Levels.
- Click HERE to sign up online to be a Hole Sponsor or a Tournament Sponsor.
• Hole Sponsor: This sponsorship level is a good way to honor someone or to show that you or your business supports the fund. Printed signs are $150 each, and they will be placed at one of the holes on the day of the tournament. (Use a separate payment if also playing golf.) The deadline for this sponsorship level is April 28.
• Tournament Sponsor: This sponsorship level is for individuals or corporations/organizations. The fee is $1,000. It includes tournament entry for four players. Tournament Sponsors also receive a printed hole sign and are given the option to have their logo or name to appear on the tournament website or other social media and be printed on the tournament banner and t-shirt. Due to production times, the deadline for print-ready (vector art logo) and confirmation of this sponsorship level is April 12. Please email your company's logo to
On behalf of the students, thank you for your continued support!
Scott Hines, Chairman of 2021 Golf Tournament